Here are some handy tips to help your child when they are reading!
When I get stuck or in a muddle I can.......
Prompting a child to use a visual clues.....
- Look at the picture on the page
- Get the sound ready on my lips
- Did that sound right?
- Does that look right?
- What word will fit?
- Make it sound like talking
- Take a run-up, go back to the start of the sentence and run-up to the unfamiliar word.
- Look at the first letter
- Get the sound ready on your lips
- Did that look right
- What can you see that will help you?
- Do you know a word that looks like that?
- You said......was it right?
- You made a mistake.....can you find it?
- Use your finger to break down that word.